Why taking Probiotic Supplements may not solve all your gut issues
Probiotics are popular. People who don’t follow probiotic research are quick to dismiss these pills – they’d be making a mistake. Probiotics are POWERFUL! But taking these pills alone won’t fix all your gut issues. For that, you’ll also need to make other lifestyle changes. While playing in the backyard several years ago, my veryRead More
Fish Oil and Belly Fat
‘Your product does not work,’ he complained. ‘I took your Omega-3 for a month and my belly fat didn’t go away.’ The Crossfit fitness community has several followers who take large amounts of fish oil in hopes of losing weight and reducing exercise soreness. I’ve written that fish oil does not reduce cholesterol. Let meRead More
Omega-3s and Prostate Health*
This article is in response to this paper Journal of the National Cancer Institute’s 2013 study on fish oil and prostate health…* …and the wall-to-wall media coverage this received in 2013. What Pharmacists are Saying about Omega-3 Does fish oil cause prostate cancer? Subjects in this study were not given fish oil. So, no, youRead More
Fish Oil Ethyl Ester vs Triglyceride – Revisited
There is a lot of back-and-forth about fish oil types – triglyceride (TG) versus ethyl esters (EE). OmegaVia was highly concentrated ethyl ester form of fish oil. Since 2016, it in Triglyceride (rTG) form. I get emails about this almost daily. Is EE fish oil is really fish oil? Is there alcohol in it? WillRead More
Why OmegaVia is High in EPA Omega-3: Healthy Inflammation Response*
Why OmegaVia has so much more EPA than DHA. And why that’s important for your health. How much EPA or DHA your fish oil has matters. But it depends on what your age and health goals are – if you’re 25 and pregnant or 60 and achy. You need a high-DHA formula if you’re: pregnantRead More
Brenda Watson, Omega-3 and Vitamin D
I recently got five calls within a few hours, all with the same questions: Does your fish oil have 1000 mg Omega-3? Yes. Is your fish oil enteric coated? Yes. Is your fish oil tested by IFOS? Yes. Does your formula have Vitamin D? No, and it shouldn’t! I knew something was up. That somethingRead More
Is Fish Oil a Waste of Money?
Every couple of months, TV news trashes fish oil. Usually after a negative study is published. It happened again in Sep 2012 after this study said fish oil was virtually useless. “Fish oil doesn’t work!” “Fish oil is a waste of money!” “Fish oil doesn’t prevent heart attacks!” The general message about fish oil was:Read More
Why are Fish Oil Pills Bigger than Krill Oil Pills?
The word ‘horse’ comes up a lot when people talk to me about fish oil pills. As in, ‘These are HORSE PILLS! I can’t swallow them!‘ We know. I know. Fish oil pill size is a problem MegaRed and other krill oil pills wouldn’t be so popular if they were as big as fish oilRead More
I Take Your Omega-3…But My Triglycerides Still Went Up!
“I take 3,000 mg of your Omega-3 and I’m eating a healthier diet…but my Triglycerides are up! What the heck?!” I get this question quite often. On the surface it makes no sense. Image: Hannah Chapman As a general rule, every 3000 mg of Omega-3 combined with a healthy diet and daily exercise may beRead More
Why Enteric Coating on Fish Oil Pills Fail
They usually don’t fail. But when they do… You’re popping too many antacids. You’re taking heartburn meds. OK, a little more detail… Good news: there’s usually nothing wrong with the fish oil pill Bad news: it’s usually because of what you ate I know, not what you wanted to hear. If you’ve been reading thisRead More
- What The Age-Related Eye Disease Studies Mean To You. NIH Website. Viewed 7/8/19 at https://nei.nih.gov/areds2/PatientFAQ
- Birch EE et al. Visual acuity and cognitive outcomes at 4 years of age in a double-blind, randomized trial of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid-supplemented infant formula. Early Hum Dev. 2007 May;83(5):279-84. Epub 2007 Jan 18.
- Daniells, S. Omega-3 DHA may boost eyesight but fails to affect mental function. NutraIngredients March 15, 2012. Viewed 7/8/19 at https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/Article/2012/03/15/Omega-3-DHA-may-boost-eyesight-but-fails-to-affect-mental-function-Study
- Rasmussen HM et al. Nutrients for the aging eye. Clin Interv Aging. 2013;8:741–748. doi:10.2147/CIA.S45399
- Giannaccare G et al. Efficacy of Omega-3 Fatty Acid Supplementation for Treatment of Dry Eye Disease: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. Cornea. 2019 May;38(5):565-573. doi: 10.1097/ICO.0000000000001884.
- Torborg L. Mayo Clinic Q & A; Fish Oil Supplements And Dry Eyes. Mayo Clinic website. November 7, 2017. Viewed 7/8/19 at https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/mayo-clinic-q-and-a-fish-oil-supplements-and-dry-eyes/